[caldeveloper-l] XML schemas for WebDAV/CalDAV/CardDAV

Michael Douglass mikeadouglass at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 10:37:25 PST 2017

I got into schemas for the calws stuff and at that time attempted to
create xsd schemas for those protocols. I managed to do so for a small
subsection of caldav (queries I believe) but my recollection (and it's
going back a while so the details may be wrong) is that the xml
structure violates some of the requirements for XSD. Elements can be
simple or complex in these protocols. There are some elements that have
a different definition depending on context etc.

Having experienced the benefits of xsd in the jaxb world I'd have argued
strongly for such schemas and a more formal approach to defining the
protocols. I don't know if relaxng will have the same issues.

Also some of my problems might have been some of the constraints applied
by the soap world but I don't think that was so.