[caldeveloper-l] Public holidays

Rutger Geelen rutgergeelen at schedjoules.com
Tue Dec 19 07:49:07 PST 2017

Gary,

We provide these for all countries over the world and about 500 regions.

I guess the reason that there are no public standards feeds is because this
is un-standardisable. A lot of semantics, politics, oddities and exceptions
are involved. Are you looking for bank holidays? free days? school
holidays? public holidays? official holidays? interesting days? national
holidays? religious holidays? flag days? All have there own specifics (not
to mention translations).

A couple of oddities:

   - In Spain everybody has some national, some regional and some local
   holidays. That means every village has its own set of holidays.
   - In Germany there are only 1 national holiday; the rest is regional.
   - In Southern states of the US some official holidays remember generals
   from the civil war but these are not free. Jewish holidays last from sunset
   till sunset.
   - There are enough countries where people take the day of for something
   special while it is not an official holiday
   - Some official holidays are declared just a couple of day before they
   happen. They depend on the moon or the mood of the local ruler.
   - Etc

If you are looking for something reasonable-ish go for timeanddate.

Regards,

Rutger