[caldeveloper-l] Google's CalDAV overwriting CREATED and LAST-MODIFIED

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Thu Mar 23 08:25:20 PDT 2017

On 23 Mar 2017, at 11:38, Andri Möll <andri at dot.ee> wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed Google's CalDAV servers overwrite the received iCalendar's CREATED (and LAST-MODIFIED) on even the first PUT? I consider the event creation time to be valuable information for calendar users, so how do you, fellows, handle this data loss?

There is little you can do about it except using a different server? :-)

If that field is very important to your application, you could stick it into an X property.
And maybe apply a logic like this on GETs:

  if PRODID is Google: // or other blacklisted server
    if has property X-CREATED-FOR-REALZ:
      use it
    else
      use CREATED
  else
    use CREATED

and always PUT both (or just if you know it is a blacklisted server).

I suspect that quite a few servers may have that issue (prefer their own record creation timestamp over the value provided in the PUT).

hh