[caldeveloper-l] Recurrence override with RRULE

Garry Shutler garry at cronofy.com
Thu Apr 5 03:46:19 PDT 2018

Hi,

We've come across a weird one which I can't decide from the RFCs how it
should be dealt with (so we're going by how it's displayed when imported).

Here's a cut down example of what we've seen:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20180323T070000Z
DTEND:20180323T083000Z
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY
SEQUENCE:0
SUMMARY:example
UID:override-with-rrule
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20180323T080000Z
DTEND:20180323T093000Z

*RECURRENCE-ID:20180323T070000zRRULE:FREQ=DAILY*
SEQUENCE:0
SUMMARY:example
UID:override-with-rrule
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

I thought that a RECURRENCE-ID couldn't have a RRULE and/or that only the
master should have RRULEs. I can't find anything in the RFCs to confirm
this (my Google-fu/reading skills may be weak!).

To reflect what is displayed in Calendar.app we're ignoring the RRULE in
the override. However, I wanted to check here to see if that's what we
should be doing, whether this is valid, etc.

Cheers,
Garry

*Garry Shutler* | CTO