[caldeveloper-l] Proposed draft: Caldav-scheduling-controls

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmailteam.com
Tue Jun 5 21:37:35 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018, at 08:56, Helge Heß wrote:
>> # Scheduling-Enabled header
>
> I wanted to have that thing for a looong time.
>
> I don’t like the header a lot, I’d prefer something like
>
>   Scheduling: none / internal / all / X-??
>
> over
>
>   Scheduling-Enabled: F

I am happy with either.  The default would be "all" of course in
your example.
> I think the reason why people have been reluctant introducing that is
> that if you have this header, you can’t reliably know anymore whether
> something was scheduled or not (and a big motivation was that this
> decision MUST be taken off the client, because unreliable).
This has always annoyed me that the client can't even be trusted to send
a header, particularly since it could have been made compulsory. Anyway,
water under a bridge.  I much prefer explicitly requested side-effects
over implicit side effects (aka:magic) as a protocol design philosophy.
> What I don’t remember is how bulk-upload deals with that
> (https://github.com/evert/calendarserver-extensions/blob/master/calendarserver-bulk-change.txt)
> . Is that implicitly off, does it explicitly support the
> functionality?>
>
>> # Schedule-Address header
>
> I don’t understand this one. CalDAV does support aliases in the address-
> set. And when setting an attendee it is the clients choice which
> address to use (either as the EMAIL attribute or the attendee URI).
What does your server do if two of the addresses in address set are
invited? What do you do if the user has an alias *@example.com but there
are some carve-out addresses which belong to somebody else?
Bron

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd
  brong at fastmailteam.com