[caldeveloper-l] CalDAV resource scheduling

Georg Ehrke georg-calconnect at ehrke.email
Tue May 8 14:24:11 PDT 2018

Hello everybody,

I’m interested in server side resource scheduling implementations.
From a CalDAV client’s point of view it’s pretty straight forward:
Resources and rooms are simple ATTENDEEs of an event, but unlike human attendees
the CUTYPE (Calendar User Type) is not INDIVIDUAL but RESOURCE or ROOM. [1]

Something similar applies to FreeBusy requests. Just define a calendar-user-type of
RESOURCE and ROOM and the server will return FreeBusy information like it would do for humans. [2]

So far - so good.

My main questions concern the common practice on the server side:
- What kind of URIs are commonly used to identify resources and rooms? Is there any pattern to it?

- What’s the most common way to implement this on the server side?
Just have a calendar as if the resource/room was an ordinary human and just add every invitation
to the calendar to fill up the calendar and thereby provide FreeBusy information?

- What if a user adds a resource/room, that they are not supposed to access?
Should the CalDAV server throw an error when creating the event or should the resource/room
simply reply by declining the invitation?

Are there any other special cases I didn’t think of so far?

Any insights / links / recommendations are highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Georg Ehrke

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#section-3.2.3
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6638#section-2.4.2