[caldeveloper-l] Collection sync: limit results

Ricki Hirner hirner at bitfire.at
Thu May 10 04:19:57 PDT 2018

Hello,

When we tried to "limit results" as described in RFC 6578 3.7 (use
case: mobile CalDAV/CardDAV sync client with limited memory and
bandwidth; possibly unstable connection), I have discovered that most
servers/services (including [very] big ones) do not correctly (not)
implement it. They don't return limited results or 507 with the number-
of-matches-within-limits postcondition (see RFC 6578 3.12), but

- ignore the limit silently (not conforming, but sync would at least be
possible), or
- crash with 500 Internal server error (which at least allows to retry
without limit), or
- worst case: they limit the number or returned entries, but return the
very last sync-token (instead of the intermediate one), so that a lot
of entries won't be synchronized at all.

Is there something I have missed? Or is there anyone else who has
actually implemented and/or used "limit results" and can give me some
hints?

Thanks,
Ricki Hirner