[caldeveloper-l] XML bodies to HTTP error responses

Michael Douglass mikeadouglass at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 14:58:52 PST 2019

For some reason ended up being marked as spam by google...

rfc2616 says:

The request could not be completed due to a conflict with the current
state of the resource. This code is only allowed in situations where it
is expected that the user might be able to resolve the conflict and
resubmit the request. The response body SHOULD include enough
information for the user to recognize the source of the conflict.
Ideally, the response entity would include enough information for the
user or user agent to fix the problem; however, that might not be
possible and is not required.

The point of the body is to help the user. If it's stripped out and
replaced by a generic "don't work" that's not very helpful.

And this goes to great lengths to explain what should be in an error
response.

https://nordicapis.com/best-practices-api-error-handling/

Apparently facebook hands back a lot of info...