[caldeveloper-l] XML bodies to HTTP error responses

David Given dtrg at google.com
Tue Jan 15 08:16:35 PST 2019

Hello everyone,

We've encountered a situation where a proxy is stripping the bodies from
HTTP CalDAV error responses, under the impression that the HTTP error
response code is the only bit that clients are interested in --- instead
it's replacing the body with boilerplate text.

This appears to result in a violation of the SHALL mandate in paragraph 1.3
of the CalDAV spec, and there's an example in paragraph 7.8.10. However, in
real life I've seen servers which return boilerplate XML in that situation
with no useful information in it, and apparently they're getting away with
this.

Can anyone point me at any concrete situations where this behaviour will
cause problems (which I can use to persuade the proxy to change its
behaviour)? Alternatively, can we simply decide that this is non-compliant
but harmless and forget about it?

Thanks!

David Given
dtrg at google.com