[caldeveloper-l] Questions regarding <date> and <time> HTML tags

Tim Hare TimHare at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 19:43:12 PST 2021

I've not done any real work with the recent HTML but I'm now starting a
small project where I want dates and times in the page to be active, so that
when the user clicks on them they can be added to their calendar.
I've done this before with anchor tags and an href to an .ics file but now I
see the <time> tag in HTML with the datetime attribute, which according to
w3schools "is used to translate the time into a machine-readable format so
that browsers can offer to add date reminders through the user's calendar.".

Does anyone have experience with these tags working like that?  I coded one
<time datetime= > </time> pair in an HTML document but as far as I can tell
the browser (Firefox in this case) allows the tag but does nothing with it.

Cross-posting this to a Firefox forum if I can find the right one.

Thanks for any insight,

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.