[caldeveloper-l] sync-tokens vs PROPFIND

Ken Murchison murch at fastmailteam.com
Tue Nov 7 09:00:40 PST 2017

My guess is that if the client is blindly requesting the ETag of every
resource using a PROPFIND rather than a sync-collection REPORT, that the
client will have no clue what a sync-token is if you return it

I'd push back on the client developer and educate them that
sync-collection is almost mandatory to implement for any well-behaved
CalDAV/CardDAV client.

Is the PROPFIND not working because Google can't handle it or the client
times out waiting for the response?  If the latter, we at Fastmail
recently experienced the same thing with requests that require a huge
response to be generated.  We fixed this by updating the Cyrus IMAP
server so that responses to PROPFIND and REPORT get "streamed" to client
using chunked transfer-encoding. This keeps the client from timing out.

--
Ken Murchison
Cyrus Development Team