[caldeveloper-l] Question about description ALTREP

Tim Hare TimHare at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 09:09:43 PDT 2018

Cross-posted to calsify but no response so far.

In the RFC section on the ALTREP property for the DESCRIPTION component I
see an example of using ALTREP to provide HTML in a description (for our
internal application, because we use Outlook for calendaring, we have been
using Microsoft's X-ALT-DESC, but I'd like to use the new ALTREP).  What's
not clear from the example below, is whether the content part beginning with
or should be positioned _after_  the END:VCALENDAR statement (since the
BEGIN:VCALENDAR / END:VCALENDAR pair is assumed to be Content-Type:
text/calendar.  I guess that's really two questions:

1.  in an .ics file, where does the ALTREP go if you are using content
identifier - in the DESCRIPTION or after the END:VCALENDAR?
2.  Can there be a Content-Type: text/Calendar and Content-Id:  in the .ics
file before the BEGIN:VCALENDAR

For myself, the questions specifically relate to the use case where we
create an .ics file that others may subscribe to;  other use cases such as
mailing a calendar might have other answers.

Thanks
Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.

<mailto:part3.msg.970415T083000 at example.com> >