[caldeveloper-l] Question about description ALTREP

Gren Elliot gren.elliot at synacor.com
Tue Mar 13 10:13:40 PDT 2018

Hi,

I believe the text you include comes from  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#section-3.2.1

This section of RFC2447 (iMIP)  should help.  Essentially, the example is expected to be used in the context of a single MIME message, and the URI with prefix CID: is expected to appear in the DESCRIPTION property of a text/calendar body part and reference a completely separate body part inside the same MIME message.  More generally, I expect that an HTTPS URI could be used to provide a link to an alternative representation on the internet.

5.1 Use of Content and Message IDs

   The [iCAL] specification makes frequent use of the URI for data types
   in properties such as "DESCRIPTION", "ATTACH", "CONTACT" and others.
   Two forms of URIs are Message ID (MID) and Content ID (CID). These
   are defined in [RFC-2111]. Although [RFC-2111] allows referencing
   messages or MIME body parts in other MIME entities or stores, it is
   strongly recommended that iMIP implementations include all referenced
   messages and body parts in a single MIME entity. Simply put, if an
   iCalendar object contains CID or MID references to other messages or
   body parts, implementations should ensure that these messages and/or
   body parts are transmitted with the iCalendar object. If they are not
   there is no guarantee that the receiving "CU" will have the access or
   the authorization to view those objects.

Regards,
Gren Elliot
Lead Engineer - Server
Zimbra - A Synacor Product
Office 408, Euston House, 24 Eversholt St, London, NW1 1AD, United Kingdom
gren.elliot at synacor.com