[caldeveloper-l] EXDATE value not same type as DTSTART

Ken Murchison murch at fastmailteam.com
Wed Sep 30 10:49:31 PDT 2020

All,

Should/must the value type of EXDATE match that of DTSTART?  My
assumption is that it MUST due to the fact that a EXDATE would be a
specific occurrence based on the RRULE.  But, RFC 5545 appears to be
silent on the issue.  The reason I ask is that we have a user whose
client generates something like the following:

DTSTART;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20130930T073000
DTEND;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20130930T073500
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;INTERVAL=1;UNTIL=20140225;BYDAY=MO,TU,WE,TH,FR
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20131128
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20131129
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20131220
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20131223
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20131224
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20131225
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20131226
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20131227
EXDATE;VALUE=DATE:20140101

Is this valid iCalendar?  Should processing software exclude all
instances of a recurring event that occur on the given dates, regardless
of the time of day (e.g. an event that occurs multiple times per day)?

--
Kenneth Murchison
Cyrus Development Team