[caldeveloper-l] Implicit scheduling and STATUS:CANCELLED

Michael Douglass mikeadouglass at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 20:59:42 PDT 2020

On 9/30/20 13:48, Ken Murchison wrote:
> All,
>
> I can't seem to find any definitive text on the matter, so I figured
> I'd ask here.
>
> RFC 6638 states that a METHOD:CANCEL iTIP message has to be sent to an
> attendee if a scheduling resource is deleted, or if the attendee is
> removed from an instance of an event.
>
> Should a METHOD:CANCEL iTIP message also be sent if the organizer sets
> STATUS:CANCELLED on an instance of an event?

I'd like to suggest it shouldn't matter.

Reading 5546 I find the use of STATUS odd. From the receivers
perspective it's always CANCELLED so not sending STATUS when removing
the attendee doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'd hope the
client/server receiving a CANCEL message would just set STATUS:CANCELLED
so the use can see the result. Sending a CANCEL or setting the STATUS
should have the same effect.